Re: Topband: 160M LDE

To: dbevan@datacheck.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M LDE
From: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:13:36 -0800 (PST)
Hello Darrell,

That echo is your "long path" signal around the globe. On 160m is not so common
but on upper bands it appears daily.

Weak up in the morning and listen to a local station on 10 or 14MHz and you'll
hear theme on both path, directly and around the globe.
Cute sound anyhow.

This is not LDE, just SDE (shorth delay echo) which is well documented. With
100W is not so easy to get this phenomenon.
On 14 and 18MHz I heard SDE from JA also which is a bit different due to the
direct long path.

If you can measure precisely the delay from your signal and the echo than you
can find the path length of that echo assuming the wave will have the speed of
light. This is not always the case because in ionosphere the wave speed is
lower than the speed of light but you can play with it.
If you'll do this, at least I'll be interested to hear the results.

Good luck.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi