Re: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:02:56 +0000
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Mike Waters W0BTU
<mrscience65704@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Most of them are of a very heavy branch (that fell out of the top of a large
> tree during freak winds last May) that landed near one end of the NE-SW
> Beverage. That gives you some idea of just how strong that galvanized
> electric fence wire is! Ladder line would have broke, I'm sure. I could not
> push on the branch and lift it one inch, it was so heavy.

No reason for Ladder line to break if you secure the ladder line to
the supports using a break-away mounting.  I use light duty plastic
tie-wraps around the ladder line, leaving the ladder line free to
slide and allowing the tie-wraps to break easily with a few pounds of
force.  They're cheap and replaced easily in a matter of seconds.

73,
Barry N1EU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK