Re: Topband: Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Contest
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chasshaw@leaco.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:29:21 +0000
At 13:17 2/1/2010, Julius Fazekas wrote:
Propagation... Well at least that's what I hope it is. EU was pounding in here Friday night early, but from the sounds of it, even the Top Band heavies were having some difficulty making the contact. Funny, later in the evening, particularly during the EU SR period, their signals were way down (compared to our SS) but QSOs were much easier... well at least in Tennessee,
N5UL says:
Yes! I was hearing eastern Europe very well in SE New Mexico 2+ hours before my sunset Friday. This prompted me to make this list Saturday afternoon:
        2305z  OM7M     569
        2314   CT3FN    569
        2314   YU1LA    559
        2317   CT3KN    559
        2332   S52AW    559
        2334   CN2R     559
        2335   OL0W     559
        2338   CR2X     579
        2340   OM8A     589
        2343   HG8DX    549
        2350   HG3DX    549
My sunset was about 0020z !
I called some of these, but don't remember being able to work any of them at these times. Some were worked later in the evening (and a few had been the night before). The pipe was filling in EU and emptying in the SW USA. Wasn't working well going the other way at all, and I didn't hear many eastern USA calling the DX either. It would have been great if the receiving and sending had REALLY been reciprocal!!

Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM (southeast corner)

P.S. I am reminded that it would be nice to know a closer location of everyone reporting here and on 3830. I resolve to be more specific than just NM in the future. And CA is an even larger place with wide differences in propagation.