Re: Topband: What are these weak birdies every 10.0000 KHz?

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, Robin <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What are these weak birdies every 10.0000 KHz?
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:40:30 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robin <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: Topband: What are these weak birdies every 10.0000 KHz?
> To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, "Mike Waters W0BTU" <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
> Cc: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 9:35 PM
> Most likely to be some form of
> overload in your receivers or preamps.  If adding a
> plain resistive pad reduces the product by more than the
> amount of the pad, its in the receiver. - (you have to use a
> pad big enough to show a material difference to resolve with
> ordinary measurements)

I understand that strong nearby AM station can cause IMD/mixing/overload. But I
have no strong nearby stations, and no amount of attenuation eliminates these
birdies.

This is not so say that a BPF will not help, and I may try one.

[snip]

> > Often, the mixing is being done near where the AM
> station is transmitting and is
> > very hard to track down.
> >
> > 73 Tree N6TR
> > tree@kkn.net

There you go. :-)

Anyway, all the responses to my question have been most enlightening, and I
appreciate all the help. The products could be generated in my rusty fences, or
far away.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU