Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

To: Jonathan white <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:59:20 -0400
I think the key here is maybe not the wire so much, but the tree.  I
hold up an inverted L between trees, and the sudden stress of tree
movement pulling a wire taut can be QUITE high. Would be very helpful
to know the details of the tree suspension you are using to keep up
your topload vertical, before proposing an improvement.

73, Guy

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Jonathan white
<jonathan.white20@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I have had my top loaded vertical  break on me again.
> The antenna is held up by a probably 70` eucalyptus tree,the top loading
> wires run away via insulators to pulleys and long elastic cords to take
> up execive movements during high winds.
> It has failed on me twice now after about 3 months .This time I used
> flexiweave  and this has broken.
> Would it be ok to use say galvanized wire for the top loading wire.
> This antenna has been a star performer in the recent CQ WW 160 SSB
> Contest, furthest was Georgia and cape Verde islands.and got across to
> Pennsylvania,but he couldn't confirm my call sign due to local qrm.Not
> bad for 100w
>  So I am reluctant to give this vertical up,Any suggestions from the team.
>
>                                          Regards
>                                                    Jon G8CCL
>
> ps not able to put up masts due to restrictions.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK