Re: Topband: Horizontal loop for rx

To: topband@contesting.com, Neil G0JHC <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: Horizontal loop for rx
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Neil G0JHC <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Subject: Topband: Horizontal loop for rx
> Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 11:24 AM
> I'd be interested to hear the views
> of anyone who has experimented with a
> full size (or reduced size) horizontal loop as a 160m RX
> Ant.

When working LZ1ANA in February -- who was using such a loop -- it was obvious
he could hear exceptionally well. He was in the noise and heard my 100 watts to
an inverted-L thrown over a tree. I e-mailed him just to find out what he was
using for a RX antenna.

His e-mail reply: "... RX with full size(160m)horizontal loop,abt 3m up of
ground." He was using an amplifier to a vertical TX antenna; I was using a
Beverage for RX.

I don't know the reason for a high-angle antenna working like that, but I have
heard many hams over the years saying what a good antenna it is for receiving
weak signals.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU