Topband: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical
From: Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I currently have a 90' grounded tower with a 6 el tribander on a mast at around
105' and a 4 el 40m yagi at 90'.  I was wondering what you guys would recommend
for building my first 160m TX antenna- shunt-feeding the tower or handing a
T-vertical between the tower and a tree.

I have never model an antenna before and thus have no idea what the electrical
length of the tower is. Furthermore, I plan on adding 2 more tribanders next
year, at 68' and 30' so the loading will change. Finally, all the books I have
read on shunt-feeding a tower have created an impression that doing so is not
as trivial and certainly not plug-and-play.  Thus, I am considering the much
simpler and more predictable T-vertical.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Rudy N2WQ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK