Re: Topband: Beverages

To: r_bakalov@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:32:36 -0700
Rudy Bakalov wrote:
> I was wondering, if space is not an issue, if there is a disadvantage from
> a beverage that is very long.  With 25 acres of land, I have been
> wondering what my RX antennas strategy should be.
>
> Rudy N2WQ

When I first acquired my 20 acres, the first thing I did was put up
a 1300 ft long beverage, 10 feet high.  It had terrific front to
back ratio ... regardless of termination.  I eventually determined
that 2/3 of the wire was ineffective due to attenuation of the
signal.  You should do a current attenuation test with a clamp
on RF ammeter to determine the loss at your QTH, which could
be less than mine.  Then you can determine how long of a beverage
is worthwhile.

The main advantage of having a lot of land is that you can keep
the receive antennas away from the transmit antennas.  There
is no conceivable receive antenna that could actually use 25 acres,
AFAIK.

Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK