Re: Topband: The Slingshot Option

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The Slingshot Option
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:31:54 +0000
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:
> Bud, this is exactly what I did, and it has never worked worth a darn -
> most times, the fishing weight doesn't get even 15 feet from the
> slingshot.  Where on the slingshot did you attach the reel?  Did you use
> a closed or open-face reel?  What weight of line?  I'd sure like to
> rehab mine, if I could figure out what to do.

I've been using a slingshot successfully for many years for launching
up to 80ft or so.  Above that, I use a bow/arrow.

With the slingshot, I don't use a reel - I let the line feed directly
off the spool, and this has always worked fine.  I use 6-8lb test line
for the initial shot along with 1-1.5oz of weight.  The lighter weight
will go higher but may not be able to pull the line down to ground.
Once the line is in place, I use it to pull 20-30lb test line through
and then use that to pull rope through.

73, Barry N1EU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK