Re: Topband: 5R8X

To: David Raymond <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 5R8X
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:46:49 -0400
On 11/9/2010 7:31 AM, David Raymond wrote:
> The 5R8X op brought a lot of joy to NA topbanders Monday night with a big
> signal in the Midwest US.  They QSYd from 80m (where they were peaking a
> little over S9) and started a big run on 160m about 0054z.  Being away and
> having missed their big NA run the previous night I was hopeful of working
> them on their last night as I still needed 5R on TB.  Luck was on my side and
> I believe I was their first QSO when they moved to 160m.  They continued with
> a good Q rate and put many NA in their log until their sunrise.  Whoever was
> operating was excellent.  All in all, it was a joy to watch.  Interestingly,
> they were about S9 when they first came on and gradually faded throughout the
> hour or so to about S4 or less until their sunrise.

Dave, Congratulations on your new one..........but,

I just wonder what path they had to the Midwest last night which was so
outstanding.  However my path over Africa almost straight East was
worthless on 160 with a peep now and then.  Oddly on 80 meters they were
599 for several hours but I  called for hours without even a QRZ
partial.  My two East beverages and even SE and SSE ones were employed
to try to get a readable signal here but it was hopeless, nor was there
a SR bump here either.  Now here is the question: was there some other
path enhancement to dump their signal into so well into the Midwest and
beyond?  For me this path is normally an easy one much of it over salt
water and able to work most of the rare stuff in the Indian Ocean with ease.

Anyway congrats to all that made it, especially stations in the great
Midwest  propagation hole most of the time.

73
Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK