Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver
From: "Larry M" <retire@means.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:01:13 -0600
Do you guys really worry about diversity reception during contests?  Really?
I just worry about the responding station(s) being in my passband.  (Which
begs the question of why so many guys can't zero beat me.) I'll admit that
the second excellent receive would be just great for diversity tuning, but
how big a deal is that really?

I've been using a TT Orion II for years now, and dollar for dollar it's
tough to beat one for low band reception.  The unique roofing/AGC/DSP system
of the Orion II make it one of the best contest/dx radios I've ever used.

Just look at the receiver data at Sherwood Engineering...the IC 7800 is so
far down the list (and falling) that to equate it's receiver performance
with that of the Orion, K-3, Flex 5000 and now the new FTDx5000 is simply
not dealing with the facts.  You have to spend a lot of bux to own a 7800,
and yes, its ergonomics are gorgeous, but there are rigs on the market with
better performance for a heck of a lot less money.
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

My .02.

Larry, W0PR