Re: Topband: Any ideas on the legal outcome here?

To: Bryon PAUL Veal n0ah <bryonveal@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Any ideas on the legal outcome here?
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:50:44 -0400
> In my 16 years as an amateur radio operator, this is one of the only lawsuits
> I’ve seen that might effect a significant product geared towards top band-
>

> http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?ID=68409
>
> 73  Paul  N0AH

Paul,

This patent tort case is truly unfortunate in so much as it will have a
tendency to stifle the great amateur spirit of sharing ideas, open
experimentation and innovation.  When you can't openly participate in
the limited amateur radio market without fear of being beaten to down by
a powerful law firm, there will be fewer items in the market place to
choose from.

I remember back when Art Collins and Parker Gates shared ideas and
technology even though they were competitors in the broadcast market.
Both were hams and kept that spirit in their companies.  Today it is all
predator policy where a company can patent a small metal box, with some
F connectors and three wings nuts, and a couple of toroids and offer it
on the market for $150...and get that price by threatening to sue any
competition.  The long term result is a collapse of our hobby market
structure where only the wealthy can afford to buy anything to augment
their ham shack.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK