Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected
From: "Alex Goldenberg" <kajotus@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:35:41 -0800
>My first beverage, I was expecting better results.

Hello, Mark and others!

I agree with others that your BV is too short, but ?.

What is your grounding system?

How long a grounding rods? What kind of ground surface do you have over
there?

I would be separating the problems here ?.

First one is ? half wave BV system should have not too ?sharp? azimuth
diagram.

And the elevation angle should be pretty high

Second problem can be ? If your BV system was having  bad ground -  your
antenna looks like piece of wire above the ground.

This wire should have more or less same reception on a both ends ?front and
back ?. In this (bad) case you will loss

expected ?gain? on your main direction (45 deg) ?.

If that is exactly your situation - I would recommend to work in getting as
best performance as possible  from your ?poor? BV  :

-          to arrange good grounding system on a both BV ends by using long
(4 ft or longer) grounding rods or/and grounding radials .

-          to ?play? with termination resistor value in order to adjust
Front to Back ratio ?. ( and actuaaly ? get the best reception from EU
direction )

This process will require a bit more time spent running around your BV ,
than expected ? But ?.just according my own experience ? two waves

Beverage built ?somehow? and not adjusted will beat perfect mounted ½ wave
system ?

This is one of the few cases , when ?longer? definitely means ?better? .:-))

Apologies for my ?cubical? English .

Good luck !

Alex Goldenberg VE7IRU

Mailto: alex(at)minstech(dot)com <BLOCKED::mailto:alex@minstech.com>