Re: Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever

To: Preston Smith <n6ss@inbox.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever
From: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:31:19 +0100
Most European countries have full operating possibilities between
1830-1850. Some have the option for 1830-1880 but are then restricted in
power. (<10W).

Removing 25% of their frequencies by establishing a dx window is not a
good plan I think. In EU space is limited.

I would help though if people would listen better and would not have
keyclicks.

Hopefully one day we will have a 2MHz band all over the world and can
use it as if it was 20m.

73 Henk PA5KT

Op 05-02-2011 20:58, Preston Smith schreef:
> Reflectees
>
> Majority of the nay sayers are northern hemisphere upper tier
> stations who can work all the DX they want on their run QRG with
> a quick pounce to pick up a multiplier.  The fact that the CQWW
> is a world wide contest seems to have been lost.
>
> The value of a window is apparent for our friends south of the
> equator.  To appreciate their predicament just imagine what we
> would be faced with if the premier 160m contests were held in
> July and August.  Our participation and scores would collapse.
> A window allows FO8, VK, ZL, ZS etc. etc. to participate under
> summertime condx and establish a run frequency of their own, make
> many more QSOs and enjoy the contest more to the benefit of all
> of us.  Now with few exceptions they are reduced to S&  P and
> hoping a run station can hear them.  Also our 2nd tier stations
> and little pistols could then work more DX to the south.  In my
> view a little pistol that makes 100 contacts is every bit as
> important as a big gun that wins his zone year after year.
>
> Obviously as the rule is written in the ARRL contest (nil in CQWW)
> the term "Intercontinental QSOs" leaves the window open for full
> time running by W/VE or Euro.  The rule must be revised.  Whatever
> when/if the rule is changed some participants will be unhappy.
>
> Today's transceivers permit run frequencies separated by only
> 250-300 Hz.  The band has more room than ever before.  A 5 kHz
> window will not be missed.  And if there still isn't enough room
> as Gary K9AY sez improve your game.  Make that antenna match
> from 1800-1900 kHz or beyond.
>
> In my view ARRL should rewrite the rule and make window compliance
> mandatory and CQ should re-establish the window and do the same.
> In addition to scrutinizing computer logs for SO/SOA violators
> determining that a station improperly used the window for running
> would be even simpler.  The penalty - just invalidate the QSOs
> and rescore.  That would be the end of window violations by any
> serious contester.
>
> The fact that 99% of big guns do not run in the window is a tacit
> admission that the window exists and has some good purpose.
>
> Good Luck in the Contest
>
> Pres, N6SS

> Share photos&  screenshots in seconds...
> TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
> Works in all emails, instant messengers, blogs, forums and social networks.

Henk Remijn PA5KT
email: pa5kt@remijn.net
www: www.pa5kt.com

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK