Re: Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever

To: topband topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever
From: mrtman777 <mrtman777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 07:43:11 -0800 (PST)
Pres, N6SS, writes:

The value of a window is apparent for our friends south of the
equator.  To appreciate their predicament just imagine what we
would be faced with if the premier 160m contests were held in
July and August.  Our participation and scores would collapse.
A window allows FO8, VK, ZL, ZS etc. etc. to participate under
summertime condx and establish a run frequency of their own, make
many more QSOs and enjoy the contest more to the benefit of all
of us.  Now with few exceptions they are reduced to S & P and
hoping a run station can hear them.  Also our 2nd tier stations
and little pistols could then work more DX to the south.  In my
view a little pistol that makes 100 contacts is every bit as
important as a big gun that wins his zone year after year.

Fellow TopBanders,

I recall ON4UN writing about how hard it can be to have DX windows in
non-contest times because you can't very well have a window for every region of
the world.  Who's the DX? EU? NA? JA? Southern hemisphere?  It appears that we
have the same issue in contests.  So, to resolve the problem that N6SS brings
mind, why don't we make the 1830-1835 DX window a place for the southern
hemisphere stations only.

That makes it really simple, don't run in the window if you are north of the
equator.  It takes away the confusion of "who is the DX?"   And don't
misunderstand, I don't mean changing the scoring, just use of the window.

Just a suggestion.  Thoughts?

73,
Trey KJ4FDV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK