Re: Topband: 4 Direction Reversible Beverages Remote Control via Coax -

To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4 Direction Reversible Beverages Remote Control via Coax - local switching
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:59:13 -0700
If you try this (good) approach, be SURE you get a PASSIVE video switch.  You
do NOT want
video class distribution amplifiers in the path from your beverages, noise,
overload, etc.
will kill you.  If the box needs power in order to function, you probably do
not want to
use it.  Remember, video folks usually want to use vertical interval switching,
and that
requires active timed solid state active switches.

Some video amplifiers will do OK, but, remember, they think of a millivolt as
SMALL, so a
noise level of 0.1 millivolts is insignificant - 80 dB down to a video person -
 but who
wants to listen to 100 microvolts of wideband noise?

I have used some of the small to mid sized 75 ohm type F mechanical switches
intended to
select antennas and cable, some are halfway decent, some are really sloppy.  A
back
termination test for what Herb described should be a first test in selecting
such a
switch, if its too cheap to back terminate, you probably don't want it in the
first
place.-  and check that it is termination, not just a short to the shield.  I
think I
would stay away from the active coax switches used to select between vertical
and
horizontal and pairs of antennas in satellite systems, at least I wouldn't use
them
without extensive testing first.  That whole area has good general RF design
and is
usually well shielded, but remember their goal is not ours, and noises at 2 MHz
and at
microvolt levels are below their design radar, as well as really strong
signals.  10 volts
of RF from your own transmitter might let all the smoke out, and 10 volts of
your own
signal on a close in beverage is not far fetched at all.

Robin, WA6CDR