Re: Topband: Beverages near the ocean

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages near the ocean
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:01:30 -0400
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:36:33 -0600
  Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com> wrote:
> I was reading ON4UN's Low Band DXing Book beverages not >working near the
> ocean...

Mike,

Here is the definite answer: it depends.

I have built a number of Beverages near the sea, with
varying results. On VK9WWI (Willis Islets) the Beverage
ran parallel about 100 yards from the shore and 2 meters
above the high tide line. It worked. On Mellish Reef
(VK9GMW), we tried three Beverages that were close to the
water. Two did not work at all. The third one was 120 m
long, ran across the narrow island and had its ends about
10 meters from the water's edge. It was near useless on
160, but OK on 80 and great on 40. On TX3A, we built three
Beverages. Again, two that were close to the water,
running alongside the beach, did not work. A third, one,
which was about 180 meters long and ran diagonally across
the island's rocky spine, with its ends about 20 meters
from the water's edge and about 6 meters above the high
tide level, was an excellent performer.

My tentative conclusion is that if the Beverage is away
from the water by more than .3 wavelength, and there is no
salt-water in the soil under the Beverage wire (!), it
will most likely work, even if the ends are close to the
water's edge. Keep in mind, however, that many coastal
areas and low islands have a salt-water table as little a
foot under the soil. A Beverage there will most likely not
work no matter how far from the sea.

73,

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK