Re: Topband: Beverages near the ocean

To: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages near the ocean
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:01:35 -0700
I like your definite answer: It Depends!  Truly!

It unfortunately seems a bit complex to make a rule other than build it and
see!  Your
experiences match what I would expect, but there seems to be more at work than
just
distance to seawater.  I built several unsuccessful beverages in Yangon next to
water-
they worked but not all that usefully - and parts of the spans were unavoidably
over
water.

Ducie island is only a few feet above sea level at the highest places, and the
lagoon has
obvious flows from the outside sea to the lagoon.  No point could reasonably be
expected
to be more than 10 feet above sea water under the lava and coral  We built an
array of
classic 2 wire beverages from ladder line- 500 to 1000 ft, and one phased array
of two 2
wire beverages.

I have used stations with REALLY good classic delectable beverage systems -
selecting
beverages is like turning a 10 element beam on 20 meters, if you aren't pointed
at it, you
don't hear it.

The Ducie beverages worked fantastically well -  easily 20+ dB directivity,
repeatedly -
with a local noise floor of zero zero, listening on the beverages was truly
amazing.  we
have recordings- you hear a weak weak unreadable signal in the low noise,
change beverages
and the signal shoves the S meter to 9+ - that's more than  20 dB by a lot, but
it is on
record, and without that directivity to reduce the gargantuan static crashes,
we would not
have done anywhere as well as we did.  I will not forget the sight of Dietmar
stumbling
out of the topband tent at dawn with blood running out of his ears muttering,
No
Beverages, No contacts!

You build a beverage as well as you possibly can, get the terminations done and
right and
match it correctly, and the strong majority of the time you will be rewarded
with a
listening treat on topband, but there is no guarantee.  BUT, at worst you have
a low noise
Omni antenna, not useful for sorting things out, but can help if there is
locally
propagated noise

Build it and see!  Unfortunately, its the only certain answer.  Dry sand,
Coral, Lava,
even moist loam, all seem to be suitable for changing the surface velocity
factor, and
that's what makes a beverage work-  it can be best labeled as a differential
traveling
wave antenna.

Robin Critchell, WA6CDR