Topband: Bi-Directional Beverage Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bi-Directional Beverage Question
From: "Phil Clements" <philclements@centurylink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:38:35 -0500
I have four bi-directional Beverages from DX Engineering.

They tell you that when installing, make sure the ladder line side connected
to the "+" terminal on one end is connected to the "+" terminal on the other
end.

They do not furnish a schematic, so I have  been installing a battery on one
end of the ladder line and reading volts on the other. I then mark the "+"
side with red tape.

The rub comes in when weather or an animal breaks the ladder line somewhere
between the ends, and a repair is made. The brush and trees make it
difficult to take a trip 720 feet down to the far end to place the battery,
and then 720 feet back to the near end to read the results, then back to the
far end to remove the battery and re-connect the line.

It would be so nice and time saving to be able to take readings at one end
and see if the polarity is correct without all the leg-work?

Any ideas out there?  Does it really matter about the polarity?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(((73)))

Phil, K5PC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK