Re: Topband: Newbie Antenna Question (long)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Newbie Antenna Question (long)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:47:28 -0700
On 9/5/2011 8:03 PM, Jim Bennett wrote:
> The ARRL Antenna Book, and ON4UN's Low Band DX'ing book, I accept the fact
> that a vertical antenna is the best bet (for transmitting, anyway) 160
> meters, AND that the Inverted L is basically a vertical antenna. If that is
> the case, does this mean that it radiates just like any other vertical,
> primarily omnidirectional? If it is omnidirectional, does it matter in which
> direction the horizontal portion of an Inverted L is aimed?

The vertical wire is omni and radiates at a low angle, the horizontal
wire serves to resonate it and radiates at a high angle (for local
contacts).  A Tee top to the vertical (rather than the L) provides the
same top-loading to resonate the wire, but the radiation from the top
section cancels itself out so that only the bottom section is working.
Thus, a Tee is a better low-angle antenna.

The K6MM vertical is a compromise for when you can't string something
into a tree. The wire in the tree is likely to work a lot better. With
either, do the best you can with radials and have fun.

It's worth trying to make that vertical as tall as practical, given your
limitations.  Taller means a higher radiation resistance, which means
less loss in your radial system.

73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK