Re: Topband: Newbie Antenna Question (long)

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Newbie Antenna Question (long)
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:36:54 -0400
Having a strong high angle lobe can be a benefit when seperate receiving
antennas are used. It keeps locals further away and is a favorite trick of
contesters on all bands. With yagis just feed a small portion to a low
antenna pointing backwards from the direction being worked.

Ive repeatedly mentioned on here that there are many times where a high
angle works best for 160M DX and throwing it away may not be a good idea. It
might also be geographically dependent.

OTOH modeling has shown that the 1/4 wave Inverted L I had installed for
600M at 160' vertical and 300' sloping to 60' could be improved by 1dB going
to a 2 wire tophat.
It hasnt been detemined if the missing high angle will be detrimental.

Carl
KM1H