Re: Topband: high take-off angle

To: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@bdtv.se>
Subject: Re: Topband: high take-off angle
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:20:19 -0700
Hi Jim
Twenty years or so ago NM7M wrote a program in DOS  that predicted the
position of the  "tilt" in the E layer on the dark side of the
terminator,   more than usual refraction at that point  causing a
steeply downward signal as it exits the layer.  Believing this, I made
sure I had some antennas that responded to high angle, and they often
provided better results  than the  high vertical loops just at that
time, resulting in hundreds of early morning QSOs with VK and ZL.
The band "opened earlier"  for the lower angle response antennas, but
they ceased to be better about half an hour before sunrise.  It was
common experience for West Coast stations to see better signals from
the Pacific on Inverted Vees than on monopoles just before sunrise.
I suppose if one has only one antenna, a low angle response one is
better for DX, as long as it has some response at 20 or 30 degrees,
but some QSOs will be missed.
Bob VE7BS