Re: Topband: high take-off angle

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: high take-off angle
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 07:10:47 -0400 (EDT)
I agree with N2NL's post.  As he is, I was located in the  Pacific and
everything was pretty much long haul, with the US being closest at  2500 miles.

I went with a Tee-top suspended on a caternary from the top of  the 150 ft
tower to my house which was 90 feet higher in elevation than he base  of the
tower. The height of the antenna was around 95 feet.

I gave quite a few first zone 31 to EU and was told the signal was  pretty
much equal with a station over on Molokai who was using an old broadcast
station tower with 120 radials.  Was it my location or the antenna, I'll
never know.

Plans for my new station call for the same thing over here except  it will
have an elevated radial system at a height of around 80 feet.  From  what
I've read it should scream.  Why no traditional ground mount vertical  with
radials.  The new QTH is a hayfield and when the hay rakes scoop up  the hay
they sometimes dig into the soft sandy ground a little.  This might  create a
real mess unless I bury the radials pretty deep, around six inches so  so.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK