Re: Topband: Receive ant question

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receive ant question
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:32:44 -0700
On Oct 26, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:

With the RX antenna a reasonable distance (>100ft) away
from the TX antenna, would an RF limiter (like the one
ICE makes) be an acceptable substitute for a front end
protector with relays?

I am running 100W only here, no amp.
________

I run 1+ KW on 160/80 to a shunt fed tower that is 10 to 15 ft from an RX loop
at its closest rotation.

With an ICE 196 ahead of a preamp for the loop, I have had no problems over
many years, first with an FT1000D (which I do not think grounded the RX only
input during TX) and more recently a K3 which does have RF protection for the
RX front end.

YMWV but you're likely very safe.

Note that the ICE 196 is no longer available from the new company
http://www.morganmfg.us/radio-products/

Array solutions is planning a replacement but I have yet to see it on their
website.

73 - Steve WB6RSE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK