Re: Topband: Inverted L antennas.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L antennas.
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:49:48 +0000 (UTC)

I use an inverted L here but it goes to within 6 inches of the ground.  total
length is about 160ft

with about 70 vertical.  I use a homebrew variable cap to match it.  My radials
are 4 loaded radials that

are tuned to be electrically 1/4 wl long.

When I first installed this antenna many years ago it was at the suggestion
W3LPL.  After installing

it I got frustrated when everyone else was hearing and working things that I
could not even hear.

A call to Frank helped solve some of the problems.. he told me to walk out
about 6-10 ft from

the base of the antenna, grab the radial throw it up in the tree about 6 or 7
ft above the ground.

Then he told me to disconnect my ground from the base of the antenna.

20 minutes later I was hearing and working all kinds of europeans to include
russians.

Over the years I have made several modifications to the antenna like adding an
UNUN at

the feed point to mitigate common mode problems etc.

The secret is elevated radials and disconnecting the ground at the base of the
antenna... I only use

4 radials that are 1/8 wl long now but they are loaded and tuned to 1/4 wl
electrical length... It works great

Hope this helps the gentleman that is wanting info on inverted L antenna
installation.

Jim WA3MEJ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK