Re: Topband: contesting in a field

To: - <ahhyup@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: contesting in a field
From: WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:57:20 -0500
Chris,

If the tall trees are in a location that you can get the trailer near, I would
go in that direction.   Put up an inverted L and lay a bunch of radials on the
ground.   If you are close to a good fence, that might add to the ground
system.

Although the balloon idea is attractive, Murphy says it will be windy.

Myself, if I were doing a ballon, I'd generate some hydrogen in a milk jug with
lye and strips of aluminum.   It won't last as long as helium, but it's a lot
cheaper and provides a lot more lift (4x IIRC).

Ken

On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:52 AM, - wrote:

> So I have a new (to me) travel trailer, and a family farm, and I've made
> maybe two 160M contacts ever. I don't get to play radio much, usually just
> sweepstakes phone every year, and I missed last year. I find it fun to do
> kinda off the wall stuff, its fun.
>
> So put this all together and I'm thinking I'll park the travel trailer in a
> field, during a 160M contest, and play radio. The missing piece is the
> antenna.
>
> I've done some reading, kites, balloons etc. I'm fine to build a big
> lifting kite, I've got a hunk of tyvek somewhere, but that's not the point,
> the point is what I'd lift. Balloons aren't interesting, I can't make
> helium in the wood shop or sew a balloon.
>
> What I'm after is some thoughts on the antenna. Looks like a kite lifted
> 1/4 wave vertical should be doable, but what about the radials? Try to
> elevate them? I'm only 100w, so I'm interested in some reasonable (or a bit
> more than what one might think reasonable) efforts which will help me be
> successful. I read about bleeding static but don't have specifics.
>
> That being said, if there is no wind, and no antenna being lifted, success
> is not only in the result but also in the prep. I'll be ready for the next
> opportunity. A good story is worth something also.
>
> So what do you all think? I've got barbed wire fencing, lots of space,
> copperweld and electric fence wire, some 50-60' or higher trees here and
> there along the edges of the fields. Hilly pasture even for that matter,
> but really limited in access for the travel trailer (not that it has to be
> part of the setup, but I've got it, might as well use it).
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK