Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 107, Issue 28

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 107, Issue 28
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:45:37 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 11/19/2011 2:00:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
topband-request@contesting.com writes:

K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net

You know Guy, your diatribes are a sure cure  for insomnia. I have a buddy
who sez "Stop measuring everything, tune up, and  work 'em." I think at
times he's right....  and yet I like to measure  things.

As for your subject, it's a moot point.  Apparently a lot of others prefer
to play your game rather than just "tune up  and work 'em."

But it's taking up a lot of band width for no  apparent reason. The
moderator has been very lenient for some reason I  don't understand. That's his
choice. Guess he wants everyone to have  their say, even if it is boring and
doesn't change what they have to work with  in their back yard.

I prefer to read the classics on the subject  that have the most to do with
what is important to Hams that want to work DX  on 160... like G3HRH,”The
Ground Beneath Us,” RSGB June, 1966, pp.375-385, or  perhaps G.H. Brown, “
The Phase and Magnitude of Earth Currents Near Radio  Transmitting Antennas,”
Proc. Of the IRE, February 1935, Volume 23, Number  2, or what you have
been quoting, Brown, R.F. Lewis, & J. Epstein, “Ground  Systems as a Factor in
Antenna Efficiency,” Proceedings Of the IRE, June,  1937, Volume 25, Number
6.

Nothing much else has clarified the issues  lately other than the work of
A.C. Doty Jr., J.A. Frey, & H.J. Mills,  “Efficient Ground Systems for
Vertical Antennas, ”QST, Feb., 1983 and R.  Severns, “Experimental
Determination
of Ground System Performance for HF  Verticals,”QEX, Jan/Feb 2009 through
Jan/Feb 2010.

After wading through those, any  Ham should be able to make their own good
decisions as to the  compromises they want to make in their own stations. In
my own humble opinion,  any further discussion is a waste of cyberspace.
Thanks for your great concern  for everyone's success, Guy. Now why don't you
just tune up and work  'em?

73, best DX, Barry

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK