Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 05:55:18 -0400
Rick,   In my case all of my 12 Beverage feedlines come back to the  20
feet from the shack where they go through double 3 inch toriods to a
single common ground between the center connection of those chokes.  I
am doing this hoping to avoid common mode noise pickup.  In the ham
shake the go to an old Dynair 12X1 passive video switcher where all the
center conductors of the unused RG-6 feedlines go to ground via a 75 ohm
separate resistor.  I am hoping this termination is reflected back at
the Beverage transformer(s) but really have no way of knowing.  Also I
wish there was an easy test to determine if all those torioids are
really helping the common mode noise pickup of any of the many
transmission lines  apart from a MFJ-259B to view the "match" of each
Beverage to the feedline and checking the performance and F/B ratio of
each Beverage on the top end of the broadcast band,  I don't know how I
could make any accurate determination if my practices are helping or
actually hurting in that regard.  Here the highest noise is all tropical
QRN and the idea of a quiet noise floor on 160 meters is only a dream.

Thanks,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 11/20/2011 1:11 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 9:50 AM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
>> Is there any cause for concern hooking two grounds together for separate
>> Beverages?   I have a a single wire Beverage that runs 600 feet to the
>> East and and another that runs 600 feet to the West.  The ground rods
>> are 6 feet apart.  I use spiders on both 4x 30' and earth is moderate to
>> good conductivity as a former hay field now covered with high grasses..
>> Is there any advantage or disadvantage from connection of the two ground
>> rods  together with a #8 bare copper jumper?
>>

>> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
> If you are selecting only one beverage at a time with relays, then
> you can use a common ground for them, because the unused one doesn't
> create any current in the ground.  I have been doing this for years.
> If you currently have separate grounds, you might as well aggregate them.
>
> Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK