Re: Topband: no response to query: feeding phased verticals at halfwave

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: no response to query: feeding phased verticals at halfwave spacing
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:43:37 -0500
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 21:39 -0500, ZR wrote:
> Well first of all dont expect instant gratification on here as there are
> usually delays in a post appearing.
>
> As far as the question you can phase them to get figure 8 patterns broadside
> and end fire.
>
> I had a pair of 80M 1/4 wave spaced 1/4 wave also fed as 1/2 waves on 40M at
> a prior QTH.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Thanks Carl,

I have been wondering about using a phased pair with each element as a
trapped vertical for 40 and 30 with suitable phasing for each band. From
your testimony about your 80/40 antenna system I should be able to get
some kind of useful pattern for each band (and I would favor 40 and
compromise 30 when choices have to be made). From other recent messages
here I am going to look for the EZnec software and play around with the
possibilities before I commit any time, materials, and labor to an
antenna system.

I am on a small lot now so my 160 meter antenna will have to a severe
compromise and I'll just do the best that I can with what I have. There
won't be any phased arrays nor beverages for 160 meters here. You can't
put five pounds of baloney in a one pound sack. I'll be putting up what
I regard as an end fed wire with a counterpoise and ground..as much wire
and counterpoise as I can bend around my territory. I've used that
combination before but laid out in a nice, straight, long line. I'm
probably not going to work a qrp op on 160 in New Zealand but I'm sure
I'll have some QSOs.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK