Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:12:45 -0500
 > What is more, it has the same low loss and similar power handling
 > capabilities as RG-213/U. http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/

While that may be true for loss at the lower HF range, it is not the
case in the upper HF/Low VHF and UHF range.  RG-6 will show from 1 to
5 dB more loss depending on frequency.  In addition, RG-6 will not
handle the same power levels as good quality RG-213 at any frequency.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 11/29/2011 11:48 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Peter Voelpel<df3kv@t-online.de>  wrote:
>
>> Be careful with cheap tv cable. Some are just steel wire with a very thin
>> copper layer ... on 160m you might run into too high losses.
>>

> Very true. But the 1000' rolls of Commscope RG-6 I bought cheaply off of
> eBay had a sufficiently thick coating of copper.
>
> CATV-type Commscope brand quad aluminum shield RG-6 is all I use here to
> feed my antennas. The copper coating on the steel-cored center conductor is
> thick enough to use even below 160 meters. At 1 MHz, it has just .25 to .38
> dB/100 ft loss.
>
> Here's the full specs for two types:
> http://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/uniprise/product_details.aspx?id=25253
> http://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/uniprise/product_details.aspx?id=34310
>
> What is more, it has the same low loss and similar power handling
> capabilities as RG-213/U. http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/
>
> Why spend big bucks on name-brand copper coax?
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK