Re: Topband: Flag/Pennant Question

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Flag/Pennant Question
From: Steve Lawrence <wb6rse1@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:51:56 -0800
My small city lot doesn't offer the luxury of room for large, let alone
multiple low band receive antennas. In fact, the lot is so small that ground
mounted antennas like the K9AY are impossible. The only real estate available
is up on the roof. The reduction in noise when comparing the flag to a shunt
fed tower (vertical) is nothing short of dramatic.

73 - Steve WB6RSE

> On Dec 1, 2011, at 10:48 AM, W2PM wrote:
>
> Agreed fully. But the very low output antennas usually go hand in hand with
> small suburban or non rural environs and thus very noisy.  To achieve a
> useful sn ratio with all the noise and low output is a big challenge
> especially if you are not in the lower latitudes.  I note n4is comments from
> noisy FL lot BUT there is a huge diff in propagation and sig levels from
> there to NY area.  U keep believing more and more that an additional factor
> for good rx conditions is also wide open terrain and not only because those
> are typically quiet. During a recent area wide power blackout here for 5 days
> it was very quiet but still could t hear many things others less than 100
> miles were hearing in far more open land.  I think it's because arrival
> angles are so low obstructions will degrade levels.
>
> I have no issues on 80 and higher. Hear what everyone else does but 160 is a
> major major challenge on rx.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 30, 2011, at 5:08 PM, wb6rse1@mac.com wrote:
>
>> I've used a variety of loops, from a small rotatable coax diamond to my
>> present receiving antenna, a large 14 x 29 ft flag.
>> It is more useful to think of these antennas as providing directivity, not
>> gain. What's important is a relative improvement in signal to noise ratio.
>> It is not unusual to have improved copy on the desired signal while the loop
>> is pointed at other than a dead on heading.
>>
>> 73 - Steve WB6RSE

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK