Topband: Bev. and power lines.

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bev. and power lines.
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:04:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi Neil

My experience with Beverages and other receive antennas near fairly close (~1
mile) to some 400kV power lines was quite depressing. Whenever the weather was
damp, misty or raining (or all three simultaneously as this was in England), I
basically could hear nothing on 160m on any sort of antenna. Attempts to null
the noise were complete failures as there were multiple sources of corona. When
the weather was dry everything was fine.

The solution was to move about 15 miles from the closest EHV line and later to
move 4000 miles over the ocean!

73 Roger

VE3ZI/G3RBP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK