Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.

To: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:58:43 -0500
Corona noise is near impossible to null even from a single source I've found.
Fortunately my offender is spark gap noise causing a specific multi point
waveform signature. As I understand it however corona is far more likely at the
higher voltages. Also FYI here in the US FCC will not enforce interference
rules on corona noise which is why so many power companies are quick to
diagnose complaints that way.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 15, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil
>
> My experience with Beverages and other receive antennas near fairly close (~1
> mile) to some 400kV power lines was quite depressing. Whenever the weather
> was damp, misty or raining (or all three simultaneously as this was in
> England), I basically could hear nothing on 160m on any sort of antenna.
> Attempts to null the noise were complete failures as there were multiple
> sources of corona. When the weather was dry everything was fine.
>
> The solution was to move about 15 miles from the closest EHV line and later
> to move 4000 miles over the ocean!
>
> 73 Roger
>
> VE3ZI/G3RBP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK