Topband: Tuning an Inverted-L

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tuning an Inverted-L
From: Dan Bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:44:28 -0800 (PST)
Ok , on to my next dumb question ..... I now have 12 radials anywhere from
125-250' long , as expected my SWR went up , so I lengthened the horizontal
part , the overall length is now about 175ft (72ft vertical). I added an air
variable cap (not sure of the value , but , it worked great at another QTH) and
set the SWR on my Autek RF1 to about 1.3:1 at 1835 , came into the shack and
the swr was essentially infinite. When I went back out to the tower I checked
the impedance with the RF1 and it was about 560 Ohms , so I then decided to set
the impedance to as close to 50 Ohms as I could , I got it down to about 68
ohms at 1840. Now the SWR is 1.6:1 at 1840 , but , the 2:1 swr bandwidth is
from 1823 to 1858 , that seems a little narrow to me ?

Suggestions ?

Dan N8DCJ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK