Topband: Noise problem question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Noise problem question
From: W5UN <w5un@wt.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:36:33 +0000
I'm looking for input from someone who has experienced a similar
situation as I describe below.

About 3 months ago I began experiencing severe noise on top
band.  It's a  constant white noise which begins to drop off above
2.5 mHz, and is hardly noticeable on 80, and not there at all on 40
meters and above. Every once and a while the noise will drop off
completely, only to return a few minutes later. It is there about 98%
of the time.The severity seems to vary a little, but is typically
S9+15 db when present, and S3 during the rare times it drops out..
This noise is coming from the eastern direction, about a mile from
here. There are power lines.there, and these appear to be the source,
however there are similar power lines of the same voltage here in
other directions, including one to the southwest about 800 feet away,
but that one has no noise. Has anyone experienced such noise as this?
I need to see if I can track this down and  get it fixed. Any help
will be appreciated.

Dave, W5UN

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK