Re: Topband: Noise problem question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise problem question
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:24:02 -0400
On 12/21/2011 7:02 PM, David Raymond wrote:
> If the power company has any competence whatsoever with regard to locating
> noise, they will have one of the high freq audio noise locating devices.  In
> some cases, if you're going to chase noise on behalf of the utility (and
> locate their problem), they may loan you the equipment.  Incidentally, some
> of the super acoustical devices do have a laser for aiming.  Also, remember
> when you get in close it can be helpful to pinpoint the noise during
> darkness and when it is quiet (quiet as in traffic noise, not electrical
> noise).  You can sometimes either see the arcing or hear the noise coming
> from it.

Sometimes you can find an offending pole with a small shirt pocket audio
amp (available from MCM and other kit providers for next nothing) and
while wearing some headphones, physically place the microphone on the
poles you suspect.  Wood transmit sound better than air as sound is
transmitted better by solids than by air.  Remember the tin can and long
string telephone you tried as a kid?

I know it sounds crude but you would be amazed at the types of sounds
that emanate from a power pole especially if there is any arcing of
hardware on it.

Just a simple solution for a complex problem but something you can do on
your morning walk until some observer calls 911 and reports there is a
nut case acting strangely by trying to listen calls.  Sometimes it may
be advisable to wear a yellow traffic vest and a hard hat with lightning
bolts painted on with a magic marker.  That should avoid the problem.
Hey don't laugh it happened to me once in Minnesota when during a
contest it was reported to the police that some crazy man in the middle
of the night was beating up on a power pole with a sledge hammer.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK