Re: Topband: Noise problem question

To: "W2PM" <w2pm@aol.com>, <mikefurrey@att.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise problem question
From: "Mike Greenway" <K4PI@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:15:06 -0500
The W1TRC unti is very, very sharp with the parabolic reflector.  The one I
saw mentioned earlier as a Bat detector kit does not appear that it would be
directive enough but the W1TRC is super effective.  The signature is very
subtle and you have to be right on the bad component.  I have compared it
with the commercial Radar Engineer units that the power companies use and it
is almost identical in pinpointing the defective part on the pole.  Not that
we have to do that but when you hear the arc signature on the pole you know
you have the right one.  I have had occasions when it would appear a pole
was bad but no arc signature and it would turn out to be another pole
adjacent.  It is possible for the arc to be covered or on top when the unit
cannot detect it but it has worked 100% for me.  They power company uses a
Ultrasonic unit that is on a pole where they can sniff around once on top of
the pole.  73 Mike K4PI