Re: Topband: 1820 BCB

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1820 BCB
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:07:45 -0500
> That is a VERY important point Joe.
>
> "getting mixed somehow"- often occurs without fault from either of the two
> mixed stations - but as a result of a nearby rectification area (the right
> metal hardware (rectifiers) coupled to a antenna of some sort with good
> primary RF energy from the stations)

I had a bad mix on 1830kHz for a while that would FADE in and out.
Well one night it got really awful and started bursting up to S7 or
S8.  I listened to it on AM and heard the familiar pinging of CHU and
I heard the other station identify as a loud local AM BCB station.

Took me a couple hours of playing with stuff to figure out the loud
local on 1500kHz was mixing with CHU on 3330kHz in a cheap TV rotor (I
assume in the bearings) I had on a lightweight 30 foot mast holding my
20m Moxon.  I strapped around the rotor and the problem was gone.  The
"bursting" was just from changes in my "diode" from the antenna
blowing in the wind and moving the rotor housing slightly.
73,
Dan
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK