Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:27:18 -0800
On 1/3/2012 11:48 AM, Doug Renwick wrote:
> One camp saying don't go cheap and another camp saying
> cheap is fine.  I pay 5 cents a foot for flooded RG-6 from Shaw Cable.
> Copper coated steel center plus braid and foil.  My receive 4 square run is
> about 700 feet.  I can hear more than I can work.  I don't need expensive
> RG-6 for rodents to chew on.  The rodents enjoy the cheap cable.  Cheap in
> price but just maybe not cheap in quality.

Loss doesn't matter for RX antennas, but shielding does.  DXE says that
the flooded Commscope RG6 they sell resists rodents. Commscope is a good
cable company. I laid  two runs of a non-flooded Commscope RG6 (on the
order of 300-400 ft) on the ground almost five years ago to feed my
Beverages, and so far no obvious problems.  And we DO have rodents --
rats, squirrels, and gophers that I know of. Because it has a steel
center and fairly light braid, I wouldn't use it for TX on the lower
bands, for reasons noted in the tutorial.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK