Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:24:19 -0500
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:27 PM

> On 1/3/2012 11:48 AM, Doug Renwick wrote:
>> One camp saying don't go cheap and another camp saying
>> cheap is fine.  I pay 5 cents a foot for flooded RG-6 from Shaw Cable.
>> Copper coated steel center plus braid and foil.  My receive 4 square run
>> is
>> about 700 feet.  I can hear more than I can work.  I don't need expensive
>> RG-6 for rodents to chew on.  The rodents enjoy the cheap cable.  Cheap
>> in
>> price but just maybe not cheap in quality.
>
> Loss doesn't matter for RX antennas, but shielding does.  DXE says that
> the flooded Commscope RG6 they sell resists rodents. Commscope is a good
> cable company. I laid  two runs of a non-flooded Commscope RG6 (on the
> order of 300-400 ft) on the ground almost five years ago to feed my
> Beverages, and so far no obvious problems.  And we DO have rodents --
> rats, squirrels, and gophers that I know of. Because it has a steel
> center and fairly light braid, I wouldn't use it for TX on the lower
> bands, for reasons noted in the tutorial.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Commscope cable is no more rodent proof than any other quality brand. If DXE
charges more for it then its not worth it economically.

I also use Commscope but I buy in 1000' reels via my Tessco commercial
acount or from a local CATV installer.

Rodent problems in CA are likely a lot different than here in NH and many
other places. When the temperatures get well below freezing mice find coax
something to at least taste and then leave alone but the damage is done.
When everything else is frozen solid the cable riding on top of or thru the
leaves are pure temptation.

I had "something" chew a length of #10 stranded completely thru in 4 places
and partially in several more in about a 100' stretch of a 500' BOG late
last winter; nothing else was touched but that territorial hunk!!  I dont
like splicing when its below freezing!

Carl
KM1H