Topband: Interference on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Interference on 160
From: John Harden <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 09:04:49 -0500
It has been my pleasure to have been a ham and DXer since 1959 at age
15. There was a lot of howling going on even back then. Once Buck Joyner
(SK about 1970) was on AM. Someone told him he was "wide". He came back
laughingly and said "I'm not wide, ...I'm just loud!" He had the biggest
signal in Atlanta.

Many times people forget to put their VFO's on split, or they do not
hear the DX station well due to QSB, QRM or whatever. I would say that
the vast majority of DXers do not do anything intentionally in the heat
of battle.... This is just a hobby and I do not think that we need any
policemen.

Nobody listens to them anyway. The ones that get upset are usually the
ones that do not get through....... Nothing is going to change.

I remember operating portable 9K2 while deployed to the combat theater
in 2002. The Russian & European QRM was unbelieveable, and almost
intolerable at times. However I politely told them to "stand by for USA"
and didn't get upset at all. I did not put anyone on a no QSL list. In
fact, when I returned stateside, I send every USA station a card at my
own expense. I didn't care how many times they called on top of the
station I was trying to work.

73,

John, W4NU
(K4JAG 1959 to 1998)