Re: Topband: Ticked over intentional interference on top band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ticked over intentional interference on top band
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:53:24 -0500
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:07:39 -0500
  Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca> wrote:

>> Unfortunately, VE1ZZ has a terrible signal with key
>>clicks out to over1kHz
> Hi Roger,
>
> Sez who...?
>
> Jack's keying may well be a tad on the hard side, but
>his signal HARDLY emits "...key clicks out to over 1 KHz

G'day Gentlemen,

I don't think it is "branding" when pointing out a problem
with someone's signal. It happens to all of us and we need
to know when our signal is not right.

N4IS called me once that I had two weak spurs about 3 kHz
from my carrier. I could not detect them at all on my
second RX, or see them on my spectrum analyzer. We started
troubleshooting and soon found the problem: two burned out
resistors in the K3's PA. (Resistors in the feedback loop
can burn out and cuase the bias circuit to oscillate -- K3
owners please be aware!)

Another time, I was really insenced at this strong station
with very storng clicky signals, just to find out that I
did not have my AGC set correctly and the clix were
generated in my own RX! Ooops! Good that I checked first
before making a comment.

I have also heard, however, during a contest, a station
with strong clicks he normally did not have. Deliberate?
Perhaps to keep "his" running frequency clean?
Perhaps he has just turned his drive a tad too high in the
excitement. Pointing the clix out to him should not hurt
his feelings, I recon.

We get all kinds of reasons for poor signals and the
sooner we let each other know the better. The band is a
precious and limited resource, we need to keep it clean. I
sure will not be upset if somebody lets me know!

Of course, intentional jamming, that is an entirely
different subject, but...

73,

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK