Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: Ignacy Misztal <no9e@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:29:34 -0500
I listened to the ARRL 160m contest in VK2 in 2006 and in 2011. In 2005 I
heard many NA stations clearly.  In 2011 I could hear many NA stations but
strong static prevented copying complete callsigns except for VE3EJ. The
antenna in 2011 was invL 20m high and 40m long, with a few radials.

Both times the location was a picnic area outside the city, as in
http://www.eham.net/articles/17751. No city noise.

So perhaps the conditions were not that bad but the stateside QRM was too
high.

Ignacy, NO9E, VK2ISF in 2006.

On 2011-12-03, at 11:03 AM, Gary Smith wrote:

>* Sure was little DX on this end in CT, only 8 mults & 3,118 points. *
>* Much less than last year. Interesting that overall the bands have *
>* been doing nicely for DX, I'm looking forward to CQWW160 for DX. Do *
>* love the 160 contests.*

Hi Gary,

The conditions just do NOT seem to be there---at least not that I can detect...

Only DX stations heard & worked here were "VP2M" & PJ5". Nothing from overseas
at all. And the furthest west that I could get was Colorado! Not a single
California, Oregon, or Washington State station to be had anywhere. I wonder if
the west coast has conversely noticed a shortage of 1's, 2's, & 3's...?

Still, I've made 283 QSOs so far, basically just holding down a frequency, &
doing a wee bit of S & P'ing. We'll see what to-night brings...

Good luck, & my vy

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK