Re: Topband: Radials help

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:34:05 -0500
On 2012-02-10, at 1:21 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> If any of you think an insulated radial field can just plopped down based on
> a formula on just any plot of land and be efficient, think again. All that is
> necessary to be abysmally INefficient is for the construction ground fill
> underneath your sod to be variable in composition, or contain metallic pipes
> or buried wires or a septic system.  In this case your radials are no longer
> ELECTRICALLY dense and uniform, current distribution becomes wacky,
> effectively removing radials from the system, and the radial system has
> become an unbalanced ground heater, and quite inferior to an elevated
> counterpoise. (Sound familiar?)

Hi Guy,

All this talk about "idealized" radial systems, vs. "compromised" radial
fields, hearkens me back to the words of an old Rolling Stones song, to whit:

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might
find you get what you need."

I'll never have the proverbial "120 full-length radials" here (what I may
want), so I'll just have to make do with my 24 one-eighth wave compromises
(what I need---certainly better than no radials at all! Hi).

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK