Re: Topband: Radials help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:37:02 -0400
On 2/10/2012 6:43 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> Off top my head, it would seem the slant wire would work to create a
> directional effect of one sort or other, depending on the specifics, but I
> have no clue why the FCC dissed that one.  They usually attach some
> technical explanation to rulings.  You have access to the specific
> proceedings?  I could come up with a dozen speculations about it, but
> that's all they'd be.
>
> -- Guy.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Herb Schoenbohm<herbs@vitelcom.net>  wrote:

No papers that I know of Guy,  just the word of a consulting engineer
who said he applied in the 60's and said it would not be considered as a
solution for even a slight pattern control to protect another station.
He finally had to go to a two tower array, another ground system, a
phaser, a day night switching control and a lot of bucks for the owner.
Station now are allowed lowering power to accomplish protection but back
then it was 250w, 500w, or 1KW, etc.  Nothing in between for a single
tower set up.  Now they permit single tower daytimers to operate at
night with very low power levels as low as a few watts to keep their
station on at night. I am sort of certain that some ham has modeled the
pros and cons of a slant wire feed for a grounded tower but I have never
seen such results published. Some hams tell me they do this to bring the
feed wire into the shack so they can use the tuner there to get a decent
match across the band.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK