Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:13:22 -0600
There was also one of these at the University of Illinois that was
decommissioned in the early 80s.  I've seen this thing up close and
there were even rumors of some of the W9YH club members hooking a radio
to this thing.

I've always wondered if it's still there.  Worth a look the next time
I'm down that way.

http://www.ece.illinois.edu/about/history/wullenweber.html

On 2/10/2012 9:55 AM, James Rodenkirch wrote:
> Yep - one of 'dem can be seen down in San Diego, at the southern tip of
> Cornado and at the northern tip of Imperial Beach - the "site" is, if I
> understand it correctly, now owned and operated by the Seals....don't get too
> close!
>
> Here's a pic from some years back:
> http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=200604964&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0&year=2006
>
> 72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV
>

>> From: w0uce@nc.rr.com
>> To: topband@contesting.com
>> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:30:10 -0500
>> CC: donovanf@starpower.net
>> Subject: Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array
>>
>> Frank:
>>

>> I think the antenna in the video is a former Soviet Union "Cold War" version
>> of a German Wullenweber also known as a Circularly Disposed Antenna Array
>> (CDAA)
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wullenweber
>>

>> 73,
>>
>> Jack