Re: Topband: 160m dethroned? 600m the new top band?

To: Mike & Coreen Smith <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m dethroned? 600m the new top band?
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:48:34 -0500
On 2012-02-13, at 11:38 AM, Mike & Coreen Smith wrote:

> I don't want to say for certain, but "seems" like VE1ZZ played around with
> this band as well some years back. I vaguely recall reading a story about
> Jack making this humoungous loading coil, but don't know howit even panned
> out.  Was there a special temp permit? Does anyone know?

Hi Again Mike,

Yes, as I recall reading (in RAC's "The Canadian Amateur" magazine, I think),
one had to apply for a LIMITED number of special permits in Canada to operate
the band---Jack was successful in getting one, no doubt because of his
accomplishments on 160-meters...

There was (still is...?) a collection of Stateside experimental stations /
beacons on the band as well---in fact, at one time there was a website that
listed all of their call signs, locations, & a place where you could file a
signal report if you'd heard any of them.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK