Re: Topband: 160m dethroned? 600m the new top band?

To: pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m dethroned? 600m the new top band?
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:31:00 -0500 (EST)
It isn't hard to produce 5 watts eirp at 472 kHz, a few hundred watts watts
through a tuner into your favorite 160 or 80 meter vertical will do the job
easily.

Much higher noise levels at 472 khz present a significantly more difficult
challenge than 160 meters, and DX propagation is also much more difficult.

Rural receiving locations are a big plus.  A very quiet remote rural oceanfront
receiving location will provide a huge  benefit. There's no need for tunable
remote receivers, the entire 6 kHz band could easily be digitized and streamed
on the internet.  Perhaps a solar powered remote receiving site miles from
homes and power lines, similar to ZL3IX's remote 160 meter oceanfront receiving
site.

If the 473 kHz band is allocated, expect to see lots of WSPR activity and other
advanced modulations, CW not so much except for relatively short distance QSOs
on other than the rare exceptionally good night.

RSGB provides excellent reporting of WRC-12 progress, this is their latest
report:

http://www.rsgb.org/WRC-12-news

Agenda Item 1.23 – 500kHz

The first reading of the text for an amateur service band at 472-479 kHz was
presented to the WRC-12 plenary this evening. This text provides for a global
allocation to the amateur service with a maximum radiated power of 1W (EIRP).
Administrations however, may permit stations located more than 800km from the
borders of countries listed in a footnote a maximum radiated power of 5W
(EIRP). While the basic regulatory text remains the same, there was a long
discussion on the structure of the two new footnotes listing those
administrations who want to upgrade their aeronautical radionavigation service
to primary status and those who will not permit any amateur service operation
on this band. As a result the text was referred back for revision of the
footnotes and will be re-presented for first reading early next week.

Agenda Item 8.2 – Future Agenda Items

5 MHz

The Draft Resolution for the proposal from Cuba – to consider the possible new
allocation to the amateur service on a secondary basis at around 5,300 kHz in
accordance with Resolution [Amateur-HF] (WRC-12) – was approved by Working
Group 6C despite strong opposition from Iran, Japan, Korea, the Russian
Federation and the United Arab Emirates. Countries supporting this Cuban
proposal included Argentina, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, Uruguay and
Venezuela. Both the Russian Federation and the UAE suggested that if this
should become an agenda item then it should be considered for the 2018
conference. The proposal will now be considered by Committee 6 in coming days.

73
Frank
W3LPL