Re: Topband: ZJ Electronics Beverage Box and Power Supply - Help Needed

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ZJ Electronics Beverage Box and Power Supply - Help Needed
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:41:35 -0500 (EST)
Hi Pete,

You have the right idea, but instead of a 1 mh choke, you should use a few
turns of #18 insulated wire on a small ferrite core.  The required number of
turns depends on the ferrite core you have available.  Use your MFJ-259B or
other antenna analyzer to select to correct number of turns.  My chokes use
only 7 turns on a 1/2 inch diameter ferrite core.

Your Bias Tee should use two chokes and one .01 uF capacitor.  The capacitor
blocks the DC to the receiver.  One choke couples DC power to the feedline, and
the other choke runs from the receiver input to ground to protect it if the
capacitor fails.

73
Frank
W3LPL