Re: Topband: LOTW Participation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: LOTW Participation
From: Bert Barry <bertbarry@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:49:49 -0500
On 17/02/2012 9:16 AM, Eddy Swynar wrote:

" ...But what if the ARRL, and others, was to suddenly announce that
they'd no longer issue hard copy certificates---"virtual awards" only,
viewable on-line...? I wonder if that might cool one's enthusiasm for
ANY paper-chasing. We now have virtual QSL cards---can virtual awards be
far behind...?"

Interesting point Eddy.  But I don't  think paper QSL's are doomed - at
least I hope not.  I still have almost a hundred spaces to fill in my
Topband QSL album, and LoTW and e-QSL's don't count.  ( I wonder if
stamp collectors recognize copies of photos of stamps as valid for their
collections).

I seem to remember Pogo going fishing with a picture of a worm as bait.
He caught a picture of a fish.

A friend of mine, a keen recreational sailor, once asked me why we Hams
still used Morse code, pointing out that the Military got rid of Morse
decades ago!  I asked him why sailors like himself didn't  switch to
motor boats, since the world's navies got rid of these sailing ships a
hundred years ago. He was not amused.

Bert,  VE3QAA

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK